Venue Finder, Conference, Wedding and Event Venues
Download the venuefinder.com app
Login Button Register Button

Venue Search

clear
country
clear
flight time from UK
clear
venue name
clear
town
clear
London region
clear
county
venue style
 
maximum delegate capacity
people  
meeting rooms required
rooms  
catering capacity
people  
number of bedrooms
bedrooms  
XY:
Name:
Industry News

A History of Hanbury Manor

Published: 08 Feb 2012

The beautiful historic Hanbury Manor became part of the Marriott group in March 1996 known today as  Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club.

Its story dates back to the 1800 where the Hanbury name occupied the house for 113 years where Sampson and Agatha Hanbury came to live at Poles in 1800.  In 1847, the Poles estate was passed onto their nephew, Robert Hanbury who further extended the house and gardens.  Being a keen horticulturalist, he employed over twenty gardeners and built the walled garden where the greenhouses became famous for their orchards.

The Poles estate passed to his grandson Edmund and Amy Hanbury.  In 1889, the old house was pulled down and construction began for the new Poles, which was completed in 1892, designed by Ernest George the celebrated architect who was joined by Harold Peto, son of Sir Morton Peto, the great railway builder.

In 1913 the estate was sold to the King family and with his keen interest in horse racing he immediately went to work on building stables for his race horses.  At this time King also had a private 9 hole golf course laid out in the park under the direction of well known golfer Harry Vardon.

In 1923 it was sold to the Faithful companions of Jesus who turned it into a convert school that initially had six students and by 1928 it gained up to fifty students and a new block was added for expanding school.  In this time the hockey field was made into four tennis courts, classrooms, dormitories and a gymnasium was made around the courtyard.  A large chapel was erected next to Henry King's stable block.  After sixty three years, Poles convent closed in July 1986.

It was then announced that the new owners had gained planning permission for a hotel and work began in 1988 converting the house of 1890 and the 1930 school block into a hotel.

New furniture, wallpapers, carpets and curtains were all put in place.  Artist Tony Raymond painted the beautiful cerulean ceiling in the cocktail bar and among all the improvements Amy Hanbury's bedroom, dressing room and bathroom remained unchanged.  The chapel, now deconsecrated was converted into the Poles Hall banqueting room.

Architect Nicklaus II re-designed the 18-hole course alongside Harry Vardons original 9 hole design.  As the building has a grade 2 listing, work was carried out in close conjuction with the English heritage.  Hanbury Manor has recently had a refresh with newly decorated banqueting suites and dining areas with vibrant carpets and fresh wallpaper along with elegant furniture, the hotel will continue to offer its heritage in a contemporary yet traditional fashion.

Search for more Industry News


Have your say

comments powered by Disqus